Topic: Use of germinated apricot kernel in milk chocolate production
Student: Anahit Manukyan, ANAU, Faculty of Food Technology and Food Expertise, Department of Standardization and Certification
AGRI CAMP Program Grantee, ANAU Student Anahit Manukyan wants to become a good scientist to create new healthy food products for people.
Why did you decide to choose this research topic?
- The idea of making chocolate with apricot kernels was born months ago, when I was writing my paper on chocolate on the subject of plant-based products processing. I thought why do not I suggest chocolate with apricot kernel filling, which does not exist in the market yet. Thus, it would also make the use of healthy apricot kernels economically profitable. That idea inspired me a lot.
- When I saw the AGRI CAMP Research Grants Announcement for ANAU students I decided to apply immediately. We worked for a long time with my current supervisor Narine Hovhannisyan. It was supposed that apricot kernels were much richer in vitamins and minerals when germinated. That’s how the topic “Use of germinated apricot kernel in milk chocolate production” came to my mind.
- My research work began when I was awarded a First of all I sprouted the cores about 1 cm high. I made the first sample of chocolate, as planned, according to the initial technological scheme, then I performed organoleptic and laboratory tests, which confirmed the usefulness of the germinated kernel.
How did your initial assumptions change during the process of research?
- At first I thought I was doing just a small study. However, soon it became clear from the laboratory results that my work is supposed to be a serious scientific research.
What new experiences did you obtained through participation in the AGRI CAMP Program?
- The grant received from the AGRI CAMP Program, my research work and the manuscripts that will be published are my first steps toward big science. I am a young scientist now and I can already pave my own path in research and development.
How does the scientific environment contribute to the research process?
- As a student, I did not have the relevant experience. The great influence of the scientific environment on me is obvious. First of all, my way of thinking has changed. Every second I think of something new that can be created and will be useful for people․ Being in a scientific environment helps me develop healthy food technologies that are in great need.
- After just four months of working with experienced scientists, my invention of sprouted apricot kernel was created, along with other two new ideas that are still in the early stages of research, but I think might soon become new and interesting
- Of course, my scientific supervisor has a big role in my success achieved in this short period of time. In addition, cooperation with accredited laboratories has had a significant impact on my research.
How will the successful completion of the research affect your future professional career?
- I want to believe that publication of my two manuscripts and the successful completion of current research are the first steps that will pave my way towards the big science.
Supervisor: Narine Hovhannisyan, PhD, Docent, ANAU
Activities outlined under this objective of the USAID-funded AGRI CAMP Program tend to empower ANAU students’ engagement in Research and Development.