Shahane Bakhshetsyan, ANAU, Student of the Department of Fermentation Production Technology and Winemaking, Faculty of Food Technologies
Topic: Study of honey wine production using new dry active yeasts and yeast autolysis improvers
AGRI CAMP Program grantee Shahane Bakhshetsyan has a great desire to get a new type of high quality wine from honey, which will have a positive impact on human health.
Why did you decide to choose this research topic?
- Armenia, having a favorable geographical position and diverse climatic zones, is distinguished by its flora, due to which it is possible to get honey with rich aromatic characteristics. In general, honey has a great potential. For example, people get wine from honey. That idea fascinated me․
- Being familiar with the Fermentis brand, I decided to try four new Safcider types of yeast and one wine yeast, then compare the results and choose the best one. Green Woods helped me get honey․
- As a result of my research, I want to make a high-quality honey wine with healing properties, the technological features of which I will spread among winemakers and beekeepers.
How did your initial assumptions change during the process of research?
- Before starting the research, we discussed in detail with my supervisor Elyanora Gevorgyan the purpose of the study, the alleged difficulties of the process, the future product. I was sure that we can’t avoid not-predicted situations, because we were dealing with the process of fermentation. Fortunately, all the stages of the research went smoothly.
- Now, when I come to the laboratory, my excitement grows, because the advantages of our new wine are already visible.
What new experiences have you obtained through participation in the AGRI CAMP Program?
- The research carried out within the framework of the AGRI CAMP Program is my first scientific experience. At each stage of the research I learn something new: differentiation of types of honey, implementation of technological processes, laboratory research, organoleptic sensation, etc.
- Every step from getting acquainted with honey to tasting wine, the actions done by myself, are a unique opportunity for me to gain new knowledge and experience. And most importantly, I learned how delicate and careful you have to be when working with wine.
How does the scientific environment contribute to the research process?
- The opinions and advices of experienced scientists have a great impact on the work we do. Through their mere presence we realize the importance of the research work we do.
- Specialists of LabCare & Consalting provided us with valuable advice. We also enjoyed collaboration with Mikayel Mikayelyan, the head of the laboratory of the Yerevan Wine Academy, who willingly shared his irreplaceable knowledge
How will the successful completion of the research affect your future professional career?
- In addition to the fact that as a result of the research I will start producing wine from honey, I also plan to continue my activities in research and development. In particular, I intend to use honey as a raw material to get other types of alcoholic beverages.
Supervisor: Elyanora Gevorgyan, chemist-expert, ANAU lecturer
Activities outlined under this objective of the USAID-funded AGRI CAMP Program tend to empower ANAU students’ engagement in Research and Development.