Innovation: Creation of a beehive which is equipped with thermometer, humidity meter, scales, thermostat and being tracked and regulated through an appropriate software by computer and/or a mobile app.
Details about the participation in the first stage of AgriThon1 Incubation and the startup idea are presented by the team leader Vigen Mnatsakanyan.
Participation in the first stage of the AgriThon1’s Incubation
- I found out about AgriThon through a social network. Since I had been thinking about the idea of creating a “Smart Beehive” for a long time, I decided to apply.
- During the first round of the competition we gained new and useful knowledge, and new contacts. I am especially impressed with the professionalism of the jury.
The startup is to solve the following problems:
- Smart Beehive is a modern tool for solving many problems for beekeepers. It will be equipped with a thermometer, a hygrometer, a scale and a thermoregulatory system. All information can be tracked and managed through the appropriate software by computer and/or mobile app.
- Beekeepers often do not notice insufficient microclimate in the hive. In cold and damp hives, bees get sick, weak or do not develop. That can lead to the extinction of the bee family. With the help of heat and humidity meter in the “smart” beehive you can go back and get enough information about the condition of the bee family.
- In addition, in order to properly organize the honey bee in any beehive, it is important to control the process of honey collection by bees – the beginning and end of the so-called “main harvest”.
- It is also important to control the amount of honey that bees eat in winter to avoid starvation. With the help of a scale built into the “smart hive” it will be possible to control the beginning and end of the main harvest, the strength of the bee family, the availability and consumption of winter food․
- In early spring the bees work actively, the mother bee starts laying eggs. At that time, bees use more honey to keep the hive warm enough. As a result of the energy generated to provide heat, the life of the bee is shortened.
- Climate change often results in hot days being replaced by cold ones, and bees are unable to warm their larvae – the future bees. The larvae die, creating extra work for the family, which weakens the bee family. With the help of the system of thermostats built into the “smart hive”, it will be possible to provide the necessary heat in the hive in early spring. This will help increase the productivity of the bee family․
Stages of startup project implementation
- It will take 6 months to implement the idea.
Team members: Vigen Mnatsakanyan (team leader), Roman Sargsyan
Startup implementation address: Alaverdi, Lori marz
AgriThon is a competition/platform for startup ideas with innovative solutions in the field of agriculture, implemented by the ICARE-Armenia Foundation within the framework of the USAID-funded AGRI CAMP program.
#AgriThon #AGRI_CAMP #ICARE #StartUP #USAID