Anna Petrosyan – ANAU, Faculty of Agronomy, Master’s program student
Topic: Influence of light factor in the process of growing potato seedlings and on the growth and development of in vitro seedlings under phytotron condition
The aim of the research of AGRI CAMP Program grantee Anna Petrosyan, is to find the best quantities of light factor components under phytotron condition to use it in the production process.
Why did you decide to choose this research topic?
- Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) is one of the main agricultural crops cultivated in Armenia, the sown areas of which have significantly increased in recent years. The in vitro biotechnological method allows to provide the necessary result in a shorter time. However, given the variety of light factor components in the phytotron environment and their effects, we will try to understand how different amounts of components will affect the end result, and which is the best one to invest in the production process.
How did your initial assumptions change during the process of research?
- I had some theoretical knowledge and insight on the benefits of in vitro propagation. Research has shown that in vitro propagation is indeed the best way to save time. In addition, in vitro propagation provides a higher quality crop, as the process of obtaining plants makes it possible to avoid the presence of pathogens and viruses.
What new experiences have you obtained through participation in the AGRI CAMP Program?
- The research, which is carried out thanks to the AGRI CAMP Program, is an important stage for me to discover new opportunities. In the process of learning we usually acquire mainly theoretical knowledge, on the basis of which stereotypes are being Practical work allows you to change or confirm your beliefs. The research project is another step towards the expansion of my scientific activity.
How does the scientific environment contribute to the research process?
- The scientific center is a significant impetus for quality research work. The center creates conditions for researchers that help to obtain more accurate and typical results. Thanks to the research, I gained new experience in doing real scientific work, got acquainted with the features and nuances of cooperating with laboratories.
How will the successful completion of the research affect your future professional career?
- I have not yet decided in which direction I will continue my scientific career, but the results of this research and the experience gained, I think, will contribute to my further advancement in the field of research.
Supervisor: Tatevik Aloyan, Researcher of ANAU “Scientific Center of Agrobiotechnology” Branch, Assistant of the Chair of Plant Breeding and Soil Science
Activities outlined under this objective of the USAID-funded AGRI CAMP Program tend to empower ANAU students’ engagement in Research and Development.