Topic: Development of fermented milk technology “YOGRIK”
Student: Eduard Balayan, Milk and Dairy Product, Infant Food and Functional Food Technology, Faculty of Food Technologies, ANAU
AGRI CAMP Program grantee Eduard Balayan would like to have an input in the development of Armenia’s dairy industry by creating internationally recognized Armenian dairy products.
Why did you decide to choose this research topic?
- Given that low-sugar dairy products are widespread in the world today and people tend to consume healthy foods, we decided to create a product that, being useful, would be a novelty in the field of Armenian dairy production.
How did your initial assumptions change during the process of research?
- When the idea was born, I still could not fully understand its significance and the challenges ahead. I realized the importance and seriousness of the chosen topic when we started practical work. This initial stage, which I called “searching point”, not only allowed me to find the right technological modes and ferment, but also contributed to my personal development as a young scientist.
What new experiences have you obtained through participation in the AGRI CAMP Program?
- The grant received from the AGRI CAMP Program helped me to realize my idea and improve my expertise. Laboratory conditions made it possible to choose the right ferment. Now I know how to get the same quality dairy every time.
How does the scientific environment contribute to the research process?
- Having an opportunity of working in a laboratory equipped with the necessary equipment is a big advantage Plus, I have a great scientific supervisor and I am surrounded with knowledgeable people. It helps a lot, especially when you have an idea but don’t know how to implement it. Or when you start trying and it does not go as planned. In those moments the supervisor not only gives valuable advice, but also shows the most efficient way of solving the issue.
How will the successful completion of the research affect your future professional career?
- Success will inspire me, of course, and the research will allow to create a new line of useful dairy products.
- My supervisor once gave me a scientific journal in which there was an article about Professor Avetis Kalantar, the Armenian scientist in the field of dairy and animal husbandry. Thus, I learned that the internationally renowned professor had greatly contributed to the development of the dairy industry in Armenia. I hope one day I will also be known as a scientist who contributed to the strengthening of this field.
Supervisor՝ Andrey Araksyants, PhD, Docent, ANAU
Activities outlined under this objective of the USAID-funded AGRI CAMP Program tend to empower ANAU students’ engagement in Research and Development.